Advances in the field of orthodontics often yield remarkably innovative new treatments, and the Pitts 21™ system of self-ligating braces is certainly one of them. This efficient braces option can make the correction of teeth misalignment and bite irregularities a faster, more comfortable, and easier process with its unique design and its state-of-the-art method of bringing the teeth into a new, straighter position. Our board-certified orthodontist, Chris Murphy, DDS, can evaluate your orthodontic concerns and talk with you about whether Pitts 21™ self-ligating braces are right for your needs.
What Are Pitts 21™ Braces?
Pitts 21™ self-ligating braces are an orthodontic treatment option designed to improve teeth alignment and/or bite concerns such as an overbite, underbite, or crossbite. The Pitts 21™ system is different from traditional metal braces in several ways. Pitts 21™ braces use a distinct wire-threading technique which causes less friction and minimizes the need for elastic bands. The brackets are also smaller and are placed higher on the teeth, closer to the gumline, which can create a more aesthetically pleasing appearance. In addition, Pitts 21™ self-ligating braces can reposition the teeth at a faster pace while using less force, often making the treatment process more comfortable.
What Are the Benefits of Pitts 21™ Braces?
Pitts 21™ self-ligating braces offer a number of aesthetic and functional benefits for both adult and adolescent patients, including:
- Faster correction of common orthodontic concerns such as spaces between the teeth, crowding, general misalignment, and bite irregularities
- Less pressure is necessary to move the teeth
- The brackets are designed to have a lower profile on the teeth and smoother, rounded corners, which can make them less apt to create irritation in the lips and soft tissues of the mouth
- Patients typically require fewer follow-up appointments for maintenance
- Easier to brush, floss, and remove food particles from the braces
- Depending on each patient’s unique needs, additional oral appliances such as palate expanders or headgear are often not necessary
During your initial consultation with Dr. Murphy, he will examine your teeth and talk with you about your treatment goals. If Pitts 21™ braces are an ideal option, he will develop a customized treatment plan and discuss the next steps. If you are not a candidate for Pitts 21™ braces, Dr. Murphy can recommend a number of other advanced types of braces that may be more suited to your needs.
For more information on Pitts 21™ braces, or to schedule a consultation, please contact Murphy Orthodontics today.